Recently a friend of mine sent me a devotional. It told of a fellow who worked on a construction crew that built new houses. He connected the water lines to new homes. When they turned on the water, “a once quiet house suddenly seemed alive”. He said, “It amazed me that the house could transform so quickly just by someone turning on a valve”.
Jesus used a similar illustration. He went into Samaria where He met a woman at Jacob’s well. He asked her for a drink. And then He offered her a drink of living water. Living water represented the gift of everlasting life by faith in Him. Like water that promptly brings life to a house, Jesus offers living water (everlasting life) immediately to anyone who believes in Him.
Many fail to have the certainty of salvation because they fail to believe or to understand the simplicity of the gospel. They base their assurance on personal goodness or the lack of it. Often they are taught this. But Jesus guarantees it the moment a person trusts in Him. He likens it to taking a drink of water.
Salvation is a gift. It simply requires faith in the Person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ. Once you believe, you have everlasting life. There’s a number of examples in the Bible where people believed and immediately received the gift of everlasting life. They didn’t have to wait until they died to see if they made it! Following are several examples of those who believed and were immediately saved, receiving the gift of everlasting life:
1. On the Day of Pentecost…“Then those who gladly received the word were baptized and that day about three thousand souls were added to them” (Acts 2:41).
2. Result of the apostles’ preaching… “Many of those who heard the word believed; and the number of the men came to about five thousand” (Acts 4:4).
3. More results of the apostles’ preaching… “And believers were increasingly added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women” (Acts 5:14).
4. Both the Jews and Gentiles received the Holy Spirit when they believed. “If therefore God gave them the same gift as He gave us when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could withstand God?” (Acts 11:17)
5. Paul and Silas told the Philippian jailer, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved...” He did and his family did. “…He rejoiced, having believed in God with all his family” (Acts 16:31, 34).
6. Jesus said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life” (John 6:47). Jesus didn’t say, might have or will have. He said you have it when you believe in Him for salvation.
Being saved from the penalty of sin (eternal separation from God) happens the moment a person believes in Jesus to save them. The Bible calls this justification. A lost person passes from spiritual death to spiritual life at that moment. Everlasting life is everlasting. It cannot be lost or taken away. If it could, it wouldn’t be everlasting. It would be temporary. It’s as simple as taking a drink of water. Have you taken that spiritual drink? Find out more at: https://assuranceofheaven.com/assurance/?frame-nonce=4671e1b181
Thank you for visiting assuranceofheaven.com . You are invited to follow as we continue to explore God’s amazing grace and eternal security for all who have believed the gospel!